Saturday, March 9, 2013

Chillin' in Koh Lanta

Well, I was going to start this post, but the Led Zeppelin music in the Lanta Pearl bar where the internet is the best is too much for me, so I think I will postpone the posting until tomorrow.

Okay, so I lost my whole post that I did this morning – what a freakin’ bummer. I will try to recreate and won’t make the mistake of not backing it up in Word in case I lose it.
Oh, Christ, I can’t recreate it. I will just start over.
My home away from home in Thailand for the next week or so

Was sickeningly sick for 3 days, sneezing my head off and finally I went to the corner minimart on the beach and got some Thai cold medicine, something like Sudafed but all the instructions were in Thai, which is indecipherable to the Western eye (and ear for that matter) but I took two this morning and have been fine ever since – finally. Had to give in yesterday to just being sick – best I could do was go get a foot massage with reflexology – it cost twice as much in Bali but was totally twice as better (that sounds illiterate).
I think I have picked the best place on Koh Lanta to stay – all separate bungalows, very chill place, lots of people with toddlers and babies (which tells you how calm the beach is) and couples from  Europe. I have not met anyone from the US in nearly a week, although the guy sitting next to me at the bar right now smoking a joint is from Vancouver and that is as close as I have gotten. It is hard being a solo traveler here on Koh Lanta, honeymooners heaven, but it is such a nice place with great beach and fresh cheap food that I will manage!
Last night a great couple took pity on me and invited me to sit with them at the beach barbecue – they were fantastic company, Olga from Siberia and Dylan who grew up in South Africa during Apartheid, now both stockbrokers from Australia. Olga entertained me with stories of her life growing up in Kyrgyzstan and then Siberia, her father in the KGB (yes, for real) and her mother a nuclear scientist working with uranium who retired early to become an astrologist (!) – the quintessential Russian family.
My plan was to come to place where I could get bored enough to start working on the last unfinished mystery novel in the series (life’s work), that has been hanging over my head for years, and yes, today I am finally there and getting Tyler Mackenzie off the boat he’s been adrift on for the last 7 years – LOL OMG…
Okay, this is a much lamer post than my original which was fraught with insight (maybe) and quite poetic in places.  
And contrary to the theme of this trip, the sun ALWAYS sets over the Andaman Sea in Koh Lanta...

No comments:

Post a Comment